In 1879, the first meeting of a Irish Hurling Union was held in House 17 of Botany Bay in Trinity College. The forerunner of Dublin University Hockey Club, the college Hurling Club had played hurling in College Park as early as 1810, and it was from this august body of gentlemen that the famous club colours of green and black were inherited. The Hurling Club, incidentally, counted amongst its members one Edward Carson, later to make his name in an entirely different field.
Dublin University Hockey Club in its current incarnation was founded in 1893, followed by the Idlers, Three Rock Rovers, Corinthians, Dundrum, Donnybrook and Monks-town. DUHC was one of the eight clubs to enter the inaugural Irish Senior Cup, the oldest cup competition in the world. The club had two representatives (P. Carton and H.E. Rutherford) on the first international side in the first recorded hockey international in early 1895, when Ireland beat Wales 3-0. The club contested the first four finals, winning on the second and fourth occasions in 1895 and 1897. Further success came in 1899,1901, 1902 and 1906, followed by a drought of 28 years before the cup came back to college. (It was notably reported at the start of the 1905-6 season that 'the first practices were not marred by nearly as many casualties as usual.') Heady times, indeed: troops were quartered on the College grounds during the Easter Rising of 1916, as sheep grazed on College Park.
In all, DUHC has won the Irish Senior Cup no fewer than twelve times, and the Junior Cup eight times – most recently in that halcyon year of 1921. The golden era of the Hockey Club was to come in the 30s and 40s, with T.G. McVeagh and Denis Coulson central to the success of the club, most notably in the last Irish Senior Cup win in 1947. The 50s and 60s saw an increase in intensity and competition in the game, with David Judge, John Lavan and Ken Blackmore at the forefront, followed by such notables as Philip Hardy, Mick Varian( Charlie Latta Stewart McAnulty and John Douglas. With increasing professionalism in the game placing impossible demands on players, particularly with the delights and distractions of university life to contend with, success has been thin on the ground in recent decades.
The club was first relegated from Senior status in 1985, but has rebounded in recent years, reclaiming top status on two occasions (in 1996-97 and 1999-2000). In recent years, Johnathan Cole, Johnny Watterson and Liam Canning have maintained trinity's proud tradition of producing international players, and over fifty members of DUHC have represented their country.
The game itself has changed beyond all recognition over the years, with the hallowed turf of College Park now used mainly by the lower teams and on special occasions such as the annual Coulson Trophy match between the Graduates and the Undergraduates. The club maintains close links with its past, however, with the occasion of the Club centenary dinner on 27th March 1993 an occasion of great pride for all concerned, with players from through the decades rubbing shoulders with their contemporaries once more in the Dining Hall. The club now has its own astroturf pitch in Santry, but still counts College Park and the attendant delights of the Pavilion Bar and Grill as its spiritual home.